Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Color Impact


This is a photo of my favorite type of flower (Gerbera Daisy). I love flowers and I love Gerbera Daiseys. But this particular flower is yellow.... and that changes everything. I don't love it anymore. I can deal with it, but I would choose a weed over any yellow flower. Being an Art Director and designing for the general public every day, I struggle with this small, but disruptive part of myself. You will rarely find yellow in anything I design.....a yellowy-orange maybe, but never pure yellow.

I was reading an article today about how we relate to color. It says this:


"When we enter a room or see an object for the first time, our minds register its color before any other detail. The colors our eyes can perceive are like words that form a subtle language of mood, energy, and insight. Color can exert a gentle effect on the mind and the body, influencing our dispositions and our physical health. Color has the ability to trigger our emotions, affect the way we think and act, and influence our attitudes. You unconsciously respond to the color of the walls in your home, your car, your clothing, and the food you eat based on your body’s natural reactions to certain colors and the psychological associations you have formed around them. The consequences of the decision to paint a room or wear a specific article of clothing therefore goes beyond aesthetics."

What does that mean about my dislike for sweet, bright, and innocent yellow? I have felt this way for about 15 years, will I out grow it?

Do you feel this way about any specific colors? How does this impact your life?

4 comments:

  1. I'll be honest, I haven't really read it all but this is actually a pretty cool book - http://www.amazon.com/Dewey-Color-System-Choose-Colors/dp/1400050626/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235009893&sr=1-2

    There are a few different, more specific ones too by the same people. I feel like you'd enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating, thank you Chedder! These books look really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dislike the color orange because of Auburn football and Tennessee football.

    And yet I grudgingly like it with white and black.

    I have a long standing dislike of the royal shade of purple. It seems cheap to me.

    Cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. jennifer....after reading your comment I immediately had to check your profile...my suspicions were confirmed, you live in Alabama!! I also currently live in Alabama. I have never lived anywhere in my life where football is such a huge deal (I have moved over 30 times). It truly baffles me!

    ReplyDelete