Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Balancing it all. And $$$.


I have been business minded since I was just a wee one.
At 6 years old I would go door-to-door selling my watercolor paintings and potholders (you know the ones - made with that little plastic loom- oh my fingers would hurt SO bad after hours weaving). My dad also built me a little store front to sell my random collections in the driveway. I would stay out all day long shamelessly marketing my chalk and expressing exactly why a shopper absolutely needed it in their life.

Oh there are countless stories like this and I can't ignore the significance of this business-minded brain in my life. So when I stumbled upon this new video series called Dialogue, from Design For Mankind, I almost peed in my pants.

Episode 1 is called "How Do You Balance it All?" It highlights several indie artists discussing how they balance blogging, creating and designing into their work, family and personal lives. Fascinating!


Design For Mankind - Dialogue Episode 1 from Design For Mankind on Vimeo.

Episode 2 is called "Finances Eek" and discusses what it is like to work as a freelancer in today's economic climate (i know - that phrase is really starting to get on my nerves, but how else do you say it??)

Design For Mankind - Dialogue Episode 1 from Design For Mankind on Vimeo.

I would love to hear from you! Are you a freelancer or do you work for "the man" while pursuing your creative endeavors on the side? Did you do crazy business things when you were a kid? Tell me a story!

Photo credit above from studiobeerhorst

No comments:

Post a Comment