Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hand Carving Galore...

Although I had purchased the materials to create my own stamps several months ago, I was afraid to touch them, so they just collected dust......until yesterday. For my online craft class one of our projects was to create our own stamp with a lino-block and carving tool, and since I had the materials already I couldn't use the "I can't afford it right now" excuse. I had to go for it. I was nervous because you have to be very patient and gentle doing this.....lord knows I am far from patient or gentle.


Anyway, I am SO thrilled with the results. I was originally planning on creating my own fabric pattern for curtains in my bedroom but as I was testing the stamp out on poster board I fell in love with it and decided to frame it. I had a piece of black poster board sitting around so I tested it out on that and loved it too. I couldn't get a good picture that really shows the details and color contrast....i guess i don't have the correct flash or something, not sure.

Lesson learned #1: go with the detours.....beautiful things can happen! Lesson learned #2: you have to be painfully gentle and patient to get good results when creating your own stamp.


So after I created the first stamp I couldn't get enough. Next came the "skulls are creepy" stamp. I always joke with Spencer about his love for stuff that seems "dark" to me....skulls, heavy metal, black, horror movies. We are complete opposites in this respect but I appreciate his taste. I stamped some black floral fabric and plan to use it in a sewing project I am working on right now. A little surprise.

Stamping is fun, I think. There are just so many ways you can use it - the possibilities are truly endless. Have you tried it?

1 comment:

  1. I love the way they turned out. The 1st one would be great on the kraft journals! I have yet to get around to this project...hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete