Friday, April 17, 2009

apron love

I needed to own an apron. All the cool people have them. They are uber stylish and can make you look super thin. That's the point of an apron, right?

Well I did it. I sewed my very first apron. I got the instructions off of the craft gossip site but I am weary in directing you to the exact instructions because there were errors in them and quite simply horrid and impossible to follow. Really I kind of made it up as I went along. And I KNOW....I went a little ruffle crazy.

Now, more than likely, I will never have this super cool, stylish and slimming apron on my body again. I don't cook.....ever. Spencer, on the other hand, is a Chef at a fancy restaurant (you know, the kind of place where you have no idea what the things are on the menu...the kind of place where I don't eat anything except bread because I prefer my food fried and served in a basket). But still, something tells me it's just going to end up in the closet. Ooooh...I could hang it in the kitchen and pretend like I am a cool kid that wears an apron...then it would become an interior design AND fashion statement. Good idea. I am going with that.

During the apron photoshoot the camera somehow got turned on Spencer as he performed his Tong Tricks. His tongs hold a very special place in his heart. I am so proud.


So my next sewing ambition.....a skirt! No ruffles involved.

Anyone know of a good skirt tutorial?? Preferably one where I don't have to make up my own instructions.

p.s. I don't really prefer my food fried and served in a basket but I do live at the beach in Alabama....it's nearly impossible to find anything that is not fried and served in a basket.

14 comments:

  1. Haha...this turned out great! And the one I made for the Pretty class is doing just that...hanging on hook on the wall lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!

    But wait - are those herbs attached via magnets to the side of your fridge??

    Because if so - I am stealing that idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they are herbs! Of course, i don't use them, but I got them for Spence last Christmas at World Market. Do you have that store where you live? You could also make them very easily out of a fun little container and magnet strips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do have a world market here but my broke butt will try making them first! I actually have 2 oz. metal tins w/clear tops that I use to ship my jewelry in so I'll buy some magnet strips today at Joanns and have a go at it.

    We use herbs constantly in the kitchen and it will be nice to free up some counter/cupboard space! (The bf is an Italian kid from brooklyn - we go through basil, oreagno, and parsley like no one's business!)

    I see your looking for a skirt tutorial - have you been to craftster.org? I LIVE on those forums and they have tons of tuts there!

    I see you live close to us as well! I'm assuming 'near the beach in alabama' is not to far from Pensacola, FL :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! We are neighbors!

    I don't know if you ever sell your crafts or do art shows but if so - I'd love to meet up sometime and do a show with someone. I haven't yet and am super nervous about it, plus people down here aren't really my target demographic lol.

    I'd love to meet fellow young crafters in the area - most people I know look at me like I have 3 heads when I say I'm a hardcore crafter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute as pie! You can never have too many ruffles :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love aprons! I usually forget to wear the ones I have though. My husband laughs at me when I do wear one....I am not sure why. Maybe he thinks I'm trying to hard to be Martha Stewart-ish. I think the ruffles are great by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to own that as a skirt - even if it's missing a back.

    Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! it's so cute! and the colors you picked are very cool! I like aprons too, but I rarely, rarely cook - EVER :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great apron indeed! I've seen some like that around and I for sure love it.

    Found you through the BYW e-course...hope you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That apron is fantastic! The more ruffles the better (in my opinion!). Although I also love pom-poms, picots, bobbles and fringe ;) I also found you on BYW.

    I don't know of any skirt tutorials, but my friend has her own sewing pattern business and it's aimed towards beginner sewers. The patterns are cute, easy to understand, and reasonably priced. You can find it at Betsyrosspatterns.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. super cute apron! Love the ruffles!

    ReplyDelete