Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Failure: The Secret to Success


I have failed a lot. A LOT. Actually, more than you would probably believe. I'm not going to get into sappy details, but you can imagine it. You have seen it on TV and in movies, and read about it in books, magazines and newspapers. I am a statistic. But I have overcome great odds. Sometimes it is really hard for me to believe that the same person that made all those failures is also the same person that has made the successes. Sometimes I don't think it is real. But it is. And I did it. One small step at a time. Lots of small steps. I am not a huge success in any way that would be notable to the general public (other than a design award here and there) but personally I have succeeded in ways I never thought possible.

When I fail, I fail hard. When I succeed, I succeed hard. I don't think that one comes without the other. Maybe I am wrong, but its what has been true from my experience.

I was profoundly moved when I watched this video. It may have just been the day, or the time or the mood I was in when I watched it. But it opened my eyes to see exactly what I needed to see at this very moment in my life.



I found the video at workhappy.net
I found the photo here

4 comments:

  1. Aww...good point. I recently heard the saying "All sun makes a dessert" (I used it for an RVA project) and it's so true! Failure and mistakes build character. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley!

    I'm a fellow decor8 classmate (just up the road in B'ham...)

    I really liked "When I fail, I fail hard. When I succeed, I succeed hard." That has been my experience as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post - I'm definitely at a place right now where I needed to hear this!

    I'm at work but when I get home I'm checking out the above video!

    ReplyDelete