Monday, April 27, 2009

fun with wood

Out of nowhere, a couple of weeks ago, I imagined a necklace that I wanted to own. I stopped what I was doing and immediately sketched what I saw in my head.


A couple of days later I made the trek to Hobby Lobby to see what I could find to make this project a reality. Look what I discovered!!

Have you ever seen these before? I haven't and I'm not sure why! It was a very exciting moment.

I had the rest of the materials I needed on had.
  • wood stain
  • acrylic paints
  • leather cord
  • those circle things to connect the pendants to each other and the cord
  • clasps
  • a hand drill (not the electric kind but the kind that works like you are rolling up a window)
Below are a few designs that I came up with. I really, really love them. Really, really love them.







Of course I had to try them all on at once. Good lord you can see every pore on my neck...look at those wrinkles...oh well, at least I finally have a little cleavage (it's about time). Lovely.

Is that a weird picture? I just wanted to show what it looked like when it was on but it's hard to take a picture of yourself from that angle. I promise I am not trying to show off my exciting new-at-thirty-one-years-old-cleavage.

Anyway, what do you think?

19 comments:

  1. I LOVE these!!! All so pretty, I love the photo of them all on your neck at once. I don't think the pictures are weird. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont think the pictures are weird either. And all the necklaces look great. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them! :-) Especially the one in the last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very, very cute! Great idea - get them on Etsy quick smart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. Love the colors and the more involved ones... the graduating flowers and the layered dots and blue. Purty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, these are wonderful! I think the first one is my fave. Yes, those wood chips are fun aren't they? Nothing like doing something crafty to get you out of a funk, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them!!! How cute! Definitely put them on Etsy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Wow! I love seeing how your sketches became your creation. And, the teal and burnt orange are just wonderful on the dark wood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhhh!!!! This makes me excited. I need to march down to your house and check out your awesome craft stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Awesome! I really like these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! Love that you drew it and did it - and they are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. gorgeous!! i love how you just put them all on top of one another, layered and stacked and beautiful. nice work

    ReplyDelete
  13. ashley.....what's your email address? would you email me? joybruce at carolina dot rr dot com

    I LOVE wood jewelry! way to go - from sketch to final.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please tell me again why you do NOT have an etsy shop yet lol - these are BEAUTIFUL and so original!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like it's time to set up shop, Ash ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE these Ashley! Seriously I'm inspired, I'm going to try it I think!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful idea. I love them all. And I would wear all of them at once. Definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG I love this and I have to try my hand at making my own. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I wish I had the ability to turn ordinary things to masterpieces.. Until then I'll just admire yours :)

    ReplyDelete