Wednesday, May 13, 2009

eklektick's wreck this journal

Have you guys heard of the book Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith? You will probably either think it is really cool or really stupid. I am going to try to convince you that it is really cool. (captions are above the photos for this post - don't mean to confuse anyone)

Let me introduce you to the artist Kristin Krause (eklektick). This is her book on day one. This is what you start out with......


Then you follow the instructions on each page in your own creative way. Like on the page below it says to "fill this page with circles"....


And on this page you "pour, spill, drip, spit, fling your coffee here". Kristin made coffee splattering a true work of art.

image source: Eklektick's Flickr photostream

On this page the instructions are to write one word over and over again. Remember, this started out as a blank page with only the words of the instructions.

image source: Eklektick's Flickr photostream

Check out the "later" version of the book. Its all just so beautiful to me.

I am a fan of Kristin's work. She has some amazing photos in her flickr photostream. Be sure to check out her monthly "making the bed". Her bed gets a new outfit every month. So inspiring!

Here are a few more of her Wreck This Journal pages....

12 comments:

  1. i think it's completely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Keri Smith. I bought that book and How to Be and Explorer of the World for a friend. Kristin's work is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a GREAT concept and what an amazing gift it would be!! Thank you for sharing...do dang cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOO, lovely. I love how the very plain, homespun cover leads into wonderland. And I love the idea of the bed blog -- can't wait to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm convinced. i love it. what a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this seems so incredibly fun; wow, I love it. Ashley, this blog is very lovely, I poked around a bit during my visit and I am glad I did :) can't wait to see you painting again; love the work you did for your mom. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this is incredible. my sister-in-law bought me this book two christmas' ago and it's sitting on my bookshelf untouched. but now? i'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh fooey! i wrote a huge long comment and clicked out before i sent.
    i have this journal...have for about 2 years. it is a lot of fun, but i really have had a hard time creatively destroying it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! Eklektrick decorated the framed page (from my journal) for me and it now has a place on my wall with a few others from people! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lost_star/3275751195/in/set-72157612157370175/)
    She is one of the most inspirational journal wreckers out there!

    My journal can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lost_star/sets/72157607574348586/ but the flickr group is a fantastic place to pick up ideas for wrecking the journal! A must have book I think!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow. these are alll sooooo amazing!
    some of the best WTJ i've seen. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice one! I just found this journal from Keri Smith yesterday and I'm so excited! You did a great job. I'm just beginning, but writing a blog about the formation from the start. I think this is the best gift you can give or get!

    ReplyDelete