Sunday, May 17, 2009

reflections and painted mirrors

This week I have been doing a photographic study on reflections. During the study I learned a couple of things...1. I hate looking in mirrors and do so as little as possible 2. i didn't have a full length mirror in my house. So naturally, since I hate looking in mirrors, I decided to buy one. And also, since my life seems to be filled with one project after another I decided to turn my new mirror into a project. So I painted it.

I went to Target and bought a cheap beveled edge mirror. Then I cleaned it and painted it with acrylics. It was hard to find a neutral place to take photos of it and I ended up in the bathroom. Taking photos of mirrors is challenging because you have to make sure there isn't a ton of crap in the reflection distracting from the actual mirror!

Apparently my repulsion for the color yellow is changing. I'm even wearing it now.

Honestly, I don't think painting a mirror is practical at all, at least not with basic acrylic paints. I probably won't be able to clean it very often, if at all. But it sure is pretty, right???

You can see more reflection photos in my Flickr photostream.

11 comments:

  1. I just wanted to tell you that I LOVE reading your blog too! And I am glad I will know someone in Marisa's class. It should be a lot of fun!

    The mirror idea is so cool. I don't have a full length mirror either, which is annoying at times because i never know what my full outfit looks like. Sometimes I try to stand on my bathtub ledge, but that rarely works out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a full-length mirror either - I feel similarly regarding "seeing" myself. I think this is about to turn into a counseling comment session...take a deep breath.

    Okay. I love how you made it fun with the accents, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job of this! It looks gorgeous. I don't have a full length mirror either, but unlike you there's no way I'm going to buy one, because if I can't see myself, I can keep kidding myself that I haven't put on tons of weight :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful..love it, I wish I had one in my house. Who needs to clean the mirror anyway :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm enchanted with the way other creative ideas seem to grow out of this course... and with your mirror ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is awesome and I LOVE the yellow shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhhh this makes me excited! maybe I will paint a mirror in my new apartment in a few months. you make me smile!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty, Pretty how you painted your full length mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  9. tres jolie! as for the yellow...I don't own a stitch of yellow but somehow I'm drawn to it and may even get that tank top I tried on. All this to say maybe you need a little color yellow in your life right now. My clothing has gone through blue periods, brown periods, purple, white and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Practical shmactical - it looks fabulous! Now I want to paint my mirrors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful mirror and beautiful reflection of you!

    ReplyDelete