Friday, May 15, 2009

self-portrait collage

I am not in the writing mood today so I have been procrastinating on this post. But I have a goal of posting every other day and I am trying my best to stay on track. In my past I have always had a tendency to give up when things don't feel good. Now I am at a point in my life where I am understanding the power and importance of persistence and dedication and commitment. So here I am whether you like it or not!


See that picture of me above? I made that. It is the only project from my years in college that I framed. I am kind of proud of it. You know why? It's because of how it was made. I cut out a bagillion pieces of magazine in all the perfect shades of black and grey and white. Don't you think it looks just like me? You can't see it in this picture but even the white around my head is pieces of magazine.

Here is a little closer look...


On another note: I am putting this out there because when I write about things on my blog it becomes more real to me....I am opening an Etsy shop. It's only in the beginning stages but I just wanted to let my friends know. I value each of you and am so grateful to have you in my little world. Thank you for your constant support and encouragement. You all help me to keep calm and carry on.

Any suggestions on what I should sell in the shop??

9 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I love the wall too... I think you should definitely sell your new necklaces and maybe some paintings? From experience, I say do what you enjoy and also don't limit yourself to one thing. Good luck, can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all - the self portrait is awesome. The dedication it took to make that speaks to the dedication you have to yourself, art and life. Makes me smile. Yay for an Etsy shop. I think you should stick to a few themes. Maybe felt, paintings for the home and necklaces. I can't wait to write about it! Heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The portrait rocks! It must have taken a very very long time to make! And I am happy you are opening an etsy shop! You are talented and you need to share it with the world. I think you should definitely sell some paintings. A few posts back you shared a painting that I thought was really cool. You could make decorative fun wall art and jewelry since you are good at both. You should also sign up for creative thursday's e-class on how to be an online artist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did your portrait from cuttings from magazines. That is totally cool and inventive! I'm a recent reader to your blog.
    I say go with what you most love and want to create at your Esty shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your self portrait is wonderful! You did an incredible job with the shading and the detail.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your new shop. I just started one a few months ago and it has been a lot of fun and a great learning experience. It's wonderful when you can create something and share it with the world. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your self-portrait in incredible!!!!Wowzers! gosh, I don't have anything framed from my days of college. which is sad because i didn't take care of my favorite piece and it ended up getting ruined in our move. The only pieces I have displayed are my pots from clay studio. Anyhoo, I don't know what all you make but I think the paintings you made for you mom were so cute. I was just thinking about them the other day and how cute they'd look in my house :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that you framed that self portrait. It's great. I'm thinking about going back over some of my old work... from even before I blogged. Why should it be neglected just because it is in the archives?

    As for your shop, congratulations. I discovered it is a lot of work if you really want to make a go of it, but it doesn't have to be a chore, either. It took me about a year and a half from my first idea to open up to actually opening. I lurked a lot. Read articles and asked for advice, then it took me a while to set up the tech stuff, and then the shipping stuff. I still don't have it down, but it doesn't need to be perfect to start working.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loveee the portrait!!


    You have a lovely blog!

    :)

    ReplyDelete