Sunday, May 24, 2009

wood grain wall art hanging

I know it's a reality of being an artist but doesn't it suck to work so long on something and then not like it?? That's kind of how I feel about my latest project. Maybe it's not that I don't like it, maybe it's just that I don't like it for my living room. It might be perfect for a nursery or play room. What do you think?

I had the idea in my head and needed to find the right supplies at the right price. I ended up purchasing packs of thin cutting boards at Walmart. I'm sure there is a much better solution than the one I came up with, especially since the paint didn't stick to the plastic very well. But since I got new orange curtains I needed to paint the surfaces to match. After I painted them with cheap acrylics I measured and punched holes in each one and then connected them together with S hooks. I need to figure out a better way to hang the whole piece but first I wanted to see how it would look so I just used nails for now.

I cut the design elements out of wood grained contact paper that I found for $1. That was the fun part. I am really into organic shapes right now...have you noticed?

So that's my latest project. What do you think? There are so many stinkin things on my to do list and all I want to do right now is lay on the couch and watch Deadliest Catch. Seriously, what is up with that???

6 comments:

  1. you did that??? That AMAZING! You have an awesome blog... definitely going to keep up with this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out beautifully....I love it.

    We've been watching alot of Deadlist Catch too. There repeats now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These rock, Ashley. I am amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's beautiful. I love the colors. I actually found your blog from a Google alert about Deadliest Catch! Glad to see someone else appreciates the show as much as me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving these!! you know how i feel about wood grain :) miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please come to my house and help me out!!! I need your assistance and company.

    ReplyDelete