Tuesday, July 7, 2009

reading deprivation

(I am trying out new stitches. It's kind of like freestyle embroidery....i love it!)

I am going to disappear for a few days. From my blog, from your blogs, from twitter, Facebook and all of the precious books and magazines I own. Yesterday marked the start of my week of reading deprivation. Julia Cameron teaches that if I really stick it out " Our reward will be a new outflow. Our own art, our own thoughts and feelings, will begin to nudge aside the sludge of blockage, to loosen it and move it upward and outward until once again our well is running freely."

I often find myself thinking the same thought time and time again....I want to find my voice, my style and my own authenticity. Maybe Julia is right and the best way to do so is to limit the media chatter that I fill my mind with all day long. I am willing to give it a shot.

This is not something I am looking forward to. This actually scares the crap out of me. I was telling my mom the other day that the whole reason I love Twitter is because it allows me to constantly be distracted and bombarded with information all day long. I love the combination of information and technology. Sometimes it feels like I need it like I need air.

Hopefully there will be rewards from this experiment that I can share with you all next week.

I'll see you on the other side!

11 comments:

  1. I think that's great. I did a facebook/twitter freeze a few months ago for a whole week. I thought it would be hard, but it wasn't. It was really refreshing! And I can testify to what Julia said, it really did wonders for my creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..I should think of doing this. I'm currently reading blogs, with the tv on in the background and a magazine on my lap to look at while pages are loading on my computer. That's insane! Maybe I should start with using only 1 media at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really enjoyed getting to know you this evening. We are fishbowlies together. Your blog called me, and I am so glad I came. Best wishes and happy creating what you love. J

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Julia Cameron. She is right..all these great ideas and juice is going to come pouring out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great plan. I'm willing to give it a try too. I have spent way too much time in the last couple of months in a rut and allowing the distraction of technology to numb my mind. Thank you for sharing, thank your for putting this out there and being authentic. I look forward to seeing all your creative results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're afraid of taking a media break, then it's probably a sign that you really should. I personally am always afraid of the things that will take me to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh, sounds nice. I did a mini break while on vacation and it was a good thing to do. This idea might have to be a mention this in the upcoming fish bowl class, so let us know how it goes... Also, I am absolutely adoring your stitches above. Please, when are you going to start selling your creations because I would like to buy this embroidery piece from you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought this week of TAW would be difficult, but I actually really enjoyed it. It was amazing how much I got done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the artist's way. I'm sort of stuck in chapter 6 right now and also in the "fishbowl". I was shocked at how powerful the reading deprivation was and how difficult and then at times how liberating it was. I'll keep good thoughts for you that it is positive and informative. Would love to hear about your progress some time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting experiment. I've been discussing Facebook and blogging lately, but I never thought about pulling myself away from them completely. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute! I love freestyle embroidery!

    ReplyDelete