Tuesday, October 27, 2009

DIY bookcase

We searched everywhere to find the perfect bookcase that would fit behind our couch....to no avail. We didn't even find a "create your own combination" at Ikea that would work. So we decided to make our own (which interprets to... I decided what it would look like and Spencer actually built it). I really really love the way it turned out...perfect.


One of my favorite things to do, when i enter someone's home for the first time, is scope out their books. I feel like the books a person reads says so much about the life they lead...or at least the life they want to lead. Books are one of my most favorite things in the entire universe. Just before we moved I did some serious decluttering and got rid of about 75% of my books. It was SO hard to do! I have moved over 30 times in my life and my books have been the one constant in my life. I am so attached to them.

The photos are kind of small but here is a sneak peak into the books in my life....




Do you love seeing what other people are reading too or is it creepy?

12 comments:

  1. Love it! And I love seeing it! That bookcase is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, i love this! your bookshelf turned out great!

    i, also, am interested in seeing what people read, but i don't make judgement calls based on their preferences. to me, that's sort of like making an assumption about someone based on their friends, you know? i love to read all sorts of materials that expose me to different view points, but it doesn't necessarily mean that i'd agree with the author whole heartedly. anyway here are some of my favorites (my bookshelf is a few photos down):

    http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com/2009/10/before-after-little-blue-house-living.html

    kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! So funny, I do the exact same thing when I visit someone's house, go right for the books. I does say so much. I love how in the pictures of your books what stands out are the colors, with the way you've arranged them they become beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saying hello.. I love your blog, your writing style and sense of humour is great! I blogged a little about your "let it rain" painting, and the post you wrote about it tonight. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We totally do this!
    And I LOVE that bookcase!
    Wish I had the tools and know-how.
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i too love seeing what other people are reading! book shelves become eye magnets. you also inspired me to fill in the part of my blog's "complete profile" about my favorite books. nice to meet your bookSelf, ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful book case! I LOVE LOVE books and seeing what others are reading. One creepy story though- my ex husband's step-grandfather was in his 80's and I was married years before I met this grandfather. Never heard a thing about him. Then we ended up traveling and staying over night at their house. We go in the guest room and I went right to the huge book case to peek around (since I love books and seeing what others are reading.) ALL sex books. LITERALLY ALL of them. Straight, gay, manuels, short stories, how-to books. All about sex. omg. It was too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do the same thing, it is so interesting to see what other people choose, and read, and re-read. That bookcase turned out great!
    x Pepper

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this! we just ordered new couches and i can't wait for it to come in. next on my list is a bookshelf:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to make this for my wife. Do you have any plans or advice on how to get started?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did you make your bookcase?

    ReplyDelete