Tuesday, November 17, 2009

gratitude

I believe that at any given moment there are only two ways a person can be thinking...either negatively or positively. There doesn't appear to be really any in-between. One of the greatest thing I have ever learned is...how I choose to think has a direct correlation to very specific outcomes in my life. Instead of waiting to feel inspired to paint or run or work or whatever, I show up and choose to be inspired. This way I can never, ever claim to be a victim. It seems simple, but it took me a very long time to realize that I actually hold that power myself. I can literally and very specifically create the kind of day I want to have, I don't have to let the day just happen to me.

I have been working really hard lately to develop new habits in my life that help me practice the act of creating positive thoughts and feelings. I believe that the more i create positive feelings and thoughts in my life, the more I will have positive experiences. So a few weeks ago i started a nightly ritual centered on gratitude. I have a little notebook and pen on my nightstand - its right there, every night, no looking for it - and every night when I go to bed I write 5 things that i am grateful for as well 5 gifts and 5 gains that happened throughout that day. I go to bed each night with a feeling of gratitude. It seems to me that gratitude is about as close as you can get to peace and joy.

Today I am thankful for this guy......

What are you grateful for today? Try to really feel it.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley! I love this post as it is sometimes hard to see the positive when you are having a bad day. But you are right, if you choose to live life with a positive mindset your whole viewpoint of the world shifts. Today I am grateful for good health and my little growing baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful for the oversized shopping bag that blew into my path today. Every Thursday I fill a plastic grocery bag with trash I pick up along my walk home after volunteering at the school. Today I unrolled the bag I brought from home and found a gaping hole in it! As I approached the intersection I cross before getting to the bulk of the roadside detritus, an oversized store bag blew into my path. I'm very glad it did, because there was enough to fill it along the mile between the intersection and my home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said. I agree 100%! I'm grateful for always having a warm place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep a gratitude journal too, and it has made such a difference in my ability to clear my head and sleep. Today I am grateful for taking the nap I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, lovely post! I've been thinking more and more about gratitude lately--I'm thankful for a new job and completing my graduate degree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly, I am grateful for the clothes on my back and the food I am fortunate to have so readily.
    Lately I am truly more grateful for the things that I take for granted a lot of times. The basics that so many do not have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I am grateful I can not complain. Gratitude has given me the ability to trust and the power not to fear. Thanks Ashley. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm grateful for you too, honey. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so well put, and I totally agree about choosing how to be. I write a thankfulness list every week on my blog too: http://shinelittlelight.blogspot.com/search/label/thankful

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I'm late to the party, but I just read this post & it struck such a chord with me. What an amazing way to end each day. I might steal it right out from under ya! :)

    ReplyDelete